Medically known as cerumen, earwax is a natural secretion of glands in the lining of the outer ear canal. It is yellowish, wax-like substance consists of long chain fatty acids, skin proteins, cholesterol, squalene, alcohols, and other organic compounds. Earwax provides lubrication in the ear canal, trap foreign substances, and controls the multiplication of microorganisms. Without earwax, the ear canal becomes dry and itchy causing discomfort and irritability.
Earwax becomes a problem when it is produced in great amount that it will block the ear canal leading to hearing loss. The most common way to remove earwax in the ear is through the use of ear buds. However, the problem of using ear buds is that it can push the earwax deeper in the ear canal which will aggravate the problem.
An effective way to remove earwax is through the use of dilute hydrogen peroxide. The use of hydrogen peroxide for earwax removal is recommended with few conditions: no skin sensitivity, no severe ear pain, no fluid discharge in the ear, and no hearing impairment. People who have sensitivity with chemicals like hydrogen peroxide but want to get rid of impacted earwax are advised to use normal saline solution or just warm water.
Materials Needed For Earwax Removal Using Hydrogen Peroxide
- 3% Hydrogen peroxide (can be purchased in drug stores)
- Olive or almond oil
- Cotton swabs
- Bulb aspirator
- Eye dropper
- 2 Small bowls
- Hot water
Procedure of Earwax Removal Using Hydrogen Peroxide
- Do this procedure in the bathroom near the sink. Make sure that the place is clean and all the materials listed above are complete.
- The ear may have unusual reactions when the oil and hydrogen peroxide are applied cold. To avoid these reactions, the oil and hydrogen peroxide should be warmed first. Put several drops of oil and hydrogen peroxide in two separate small bowls then place them in hot water until the oil and hydrogen peroxide are already warm.
- To add the warm oil and hydrogen peroxide in the ear, tilt your head in such a way that the ear to be treated is facing towards the ceiling. Put 2-3 drops of oil in the dropper and release it to the ear. After few minutes, put 2-3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in the same ear without changing your head’s position. Bubbling of the hydrogen dioxide will occur; wait until the bubbling stops before you can return your head to normal position. Place a towel at your shoulder to absorb any spillage of the oil and hydrogen dioxide.
- Now it’s time to drain the oil and hydrogen dioxide. Put clean warm water in the bulb aspirator and then position your head in such a way that the ear you have treated is facing the sink. Position the aspirator 45 degrees to the ear and gently squeeze it to squirt warm water which will wash the ear canal and remove the loosened ear wax. Use the cotton swabs to clean your outer ear.
- You can repeat the whole procedure to get a better result.